Intel Launches Third Generation Intel 320 SSD Series 600GB Solid State Drives
Intel announced the new Intel SSD 320 Series, the third generation of Solid State Drives , is now available for orders. Something notable is the intro of two higher capacity models. The third generation 320 series now replaces the old X25 models. Keep that in mind when purchasing an SSD. The 320 series is the latest kid on the block with better technology.
Intel Solid-State Drives just got better. The next generation Intel SSD 320 Series offers built-in data protection features, better performance, larger capacities and more value for your money.
- Unlike traditional hard disk drives, Intel Solid-State Drives have no moving parts, resulting in a quiet, cool, rugged storage solution with a life expectancy of 1.2 million hours mean time between failures
- Designed to satisfy the most demanding users and technology enthusiasts, the Intel SSD 320 Series brings high-performance storage and reliability to notebook and desktop systems
- Random read performance of 38,000 input/output operations per second (IOPS) and sequential read performance of 270 megabytes per second (MB/s)
- Couple that performance with random writes of 14,000 IOPS and sequential writes of 130MB/s to unleash your system.
- The Intel Data Migration Software clones the operating system and files from a hard drive or SSD to any Intel SSD. The free software supports Microsoft Windows 7, Vista and XP
- Included in the box: SSD, quick install guide, mini CD-ROM warranty, desktop install kit: drive bracket and screws, SATA signal cable and SATA power cable. Also includes a notebook install kit: USB to SATA cable, protective sleeve and screwdriver.
- Intel SSD 320 Series come pre-configured with Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 128-bit full-disk encryption capabilities.
- Intel SSD 320 Series feature low-write amplification and a unique wear-leveling design for higher reliability; meaning Intel SSDs not only perform better, they last longer
Order Available Models:
- Intel 320 Series 40 GB SATA
- Intel 320 Series 80 GB SATA
- Intel 320 Series 160 GB SATA
- Intel 320 Series 120 GB SATA
- Intel 320 Series 300 GB SATA
- Third-generation Intel® SSD 320 Series on 25-nm NAND flash memory offers 40-, 80-, 120-, 160-GB plus higher capacity 300- and 600GB options.
- Advanced architecture enables robust, reliable SSDs with enhanced security features for desktop/notebook PCs or server data center storage.
- Performance, reliability upgrades enhance solid line of high-performing SSDs with up to $100 price drop over current Intel® X25-M SSD model.
SANTA CLARA, Calif., March 28, 2011 – Intel Corporation announced today its highly anticipated third-generation solid-state drive (SSD) the Intel® Solid-State Drive 320 Series (Intel® SSD 320 Series). Based on its industry-leading 25-nanometer (nm) NAND flash memory, the Intel SSD 320 replaces and builds on its high-performing Intel® X25-M SATA SSD. Delivering more performance and uniquely architected reliability features, the new Intel SSD 320 offers new higher capacity models, while taking advantage of cost benefits from its#25nm process with an up to 30 percent price reduction over its current generation.
“Intel designed new quality and reliability features into our SSDs to take advantage of the latest 25nm silicon, so we could deliver cost advantages to our customers,” said Pete Hazen, director of marketing for the Intel Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) Solutions Group. “Intel’s third generation of SSDs adds enhanced data security features, power-loss management and innovative data redundancy features to once again advance SSD technology. Whether it’s a consumer or corporate IT looking to upgrade from a hard disk drive, or an enterprise seeking to deploy SSDs in their data centers, the new Intel SSD 320 Series will continue to build on our reputation of high quality and dependability over the life of the SSD.”
The Intel SSD 320 is the next generation of Intel’s client product line for use on desktop and notebook PCs. It is targeted for mainstream consumers, corporate IT or PC enthusiasts who would like a substantial performance boost over conventional mechanical hard disk drives (HDDs). An SSD is more rugged, uses less power and reduces the HDD bottleneck to speed PC processes such as boot up and the opening of files and favorite applications. In fact, an upgrade from an HDD to an Intel SSD can give users one of the single-best performance boosts, providing an up to 66 percent gain in overall system responsiveness.1
The Intel SSD 320 Series comes in 40 gigabyte (GB), 80GB, 120GB, 160GB and new higher capacity 300GB and 600GB versions. It uses the 3 gigabit-per-second (3gbps) SATA II interface to support an SSD upgrade for the more than 1 billion SATA II PCs installed throughout the world. Continuing to offer high-performing random read and write speeds, which most affect a user’s daily computing experience, the Intel SSD 320 produces up to 39,500 input/output operations per second (IOPS) random reads and 23,000 IOPS random writes on its highest-capacity drives. In addition, the company has more than doubled sequential write speeds from its second generation to 220 megabytes-per-second (MB/s) sequential writes and still maintains one of the highest read throughputs at up to 270 MB/s sequential reads. This greatly improves a user’s multitasking capabilities. For example, a user can easily play background music or download a video, while working on a document with no perceivable slow down.
Already one of the most solid-performing SSDs over time, Intel continues to raise the bar on SSD reliability in the way it has architected its third generation, using proprietary firmware and controller, to further demonstrate that not all solid-state drives are created equal. In this rendition, Intel creatively uses spare area to deploy added redundancies that will help keep user data protected, even in the event of a power loss. It also includes 128-bit Advanced Encryption Standard capabilities on every drive, to help protect personal data in the event of theft or loss.
“Solid-state drives continue to be one of the hottest trends in computing,” said Bernard Luthi, vice president of marketing, Web management and customer service at leading e-retailer Newegg.com. “Intel remains a top brand because of its consistent performance and extremely low return rate. We are sure customers will welcome the new higher capacity drives, and now is a great time for consumers to upgrade their PC to a fast new SSD.”
Intel SSD 320 prices, based on 1,000-unit quantities, are as follows: 40GB at $89; 80GB at $159; 120GB at $209; 160GB at $289; 300GB at $529 and 600GB at $1,069. Check retailers/e-tailers for consumer pricing. All models include a limited 3-year warranty from Intel.
“With recent announcements, we have expanded our SSD product line and now offer both consumers and computer OEMs more SSD choices,” said Tom Rampone, vice president and general manager, Intel NVM Solutions Group. “We see the Intel SSD 320 as a solid advancement to our SSD roadmap, and will continue to upgrade and refresh our SSD product line as we add more enterprise options for our business customers throughout the year.”
Another benefit for Intel SSD purchasers is the Intel® SSD Toolbox with Intel® SSD Optimizer, a free utility which provides Microsoft Windows* users with a powerful set of management, information and diagnostic tools to help maintain the health and out-of-box performance of the drive. To help ease the installation process, all Intel SSD users can download the free Intel® Data Migration Software to help clone the entire content of a previous storage drive (SSD or HDD) to any Intel SSD.
Smart meets fast. The Intel® Solid-State Drive 320 Series is the hard drive alternative that offers better performance and protects your data.
Shift your PC’s performance into high gear
Intel® Solid-State Drives (Intel® SSDs) just got better. The next generation Intel SSD 320 Series offers built-in data protection features, better performance, larger capacities and more value for your money.
Built with 25 nanometer (nm) compute-quality Intel® NAND Flash Memory, the Intel SSD 320 Series accelerates PC performance where it matters most. With random read performance up to 39,500 Input/Output Operations per Second (IOPS)1 and sequential read performance of up to 270 megabytes per second (MB/s), your PC will blaze through the most demanding applications and will handle intense multi-tasking needs. Couple that performance with random writes up to 23,000 IOPS and sequential writes up to 220MB/s to unleash your system.
Superior built-in data protection features
The new Intel SSD 320 Series contains built-in features to protect your data from external threats and internal system snags.
The Intel SSD 320 Series comes pre-configured with Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 128 bit encryption capabilities2. In the event of theft or loss of your computer, you have the peace of mind that your personal data is secured by an advanced encryption technologies.
Additionally, two new data protection features guard your data from internal system mishaps. To reduce potential data loss, the Intel SSD 320 Series detects and protects from an unexpected system power loss. The drive saves all cached data in the process of being written before shutting down, thereby minimizing potential data loss.
The Intel SSD 320 Series also improves reliability by providing an array of surplus NAND flash. If the controller encounters a faulty NAND array, the Intel SSD 320 Series automatically reconfigures itself to reduce the prospect of data loss.
Capacities to fit your needs
Available in a wide range of capacities, the Intel SSD 320 Series provides you with the flexibility to choose an SSD that best fits your need and budget.
Whether you choose the 40 gigabytes (GB), 80GB, 120GB, 160GB, 300GB or 600GB capacity, the Intel SSD 320 Series delivers the highly responsive PC experience you desire.
SSD Management Tool Suite
Install and manage the Intel SSD 320 Series with two FREE Intel utilities—the Intel® Data Migration Software and the Intel® SSD Toolbox with Intel® SSD Optimizer.
- Intel Data Migration Software The Intel Data Migration Software helps you install an Intel SSD in an existing PC system. With minimal steps, this useful tool replicates the operating system and all files from a PC’s hard drive or SSD to any Intel SSD. The Intel Data Migration Software supports Microsoft Windows* 7, Vista*, and XP. Download this utility, free of charge, at www.intel.com/go/ssdinstallation
- Intel SSD Toolbox with Intel SSD Optimizer The Intel SSD Toolbox with Intel SSD Optimizer provides a powerful set of management, information, and diagnostic tools to maintain the health of your Intel SSD and optimize performance to “fresh-out-of-the-box” levels. The toolbox offers options to securely erase your SSD or access the System Configuration Tuner that helps your system take full advantage of your Intel SSD’s performance. Download the toolbox, free of charge, at www.intel.com/go/ssdtoolbox
World-Class reliability – better by design
As the third generation of the SSD that changed the industry with its overall performance, value and reliability, the Intel SSD 320 Series draws from decades of memory engineering experience, and new industry leading, compute-quality Intel 25nm NAND Flash memory manufacturing processes. The Intel SSD 320 Series features an advanced architecture that employs 10 parallel NAND flash channels3 equipped with multi-level cell NAND flash memory. With powerful Native Command Queuing that enables up to 32 concurrent operations; the Intel SSD 320 Series drastically outperform traditional hard disk drives.
The Intel SSD 320 Series also features low write amplification and a unique wear-leveling design for higher reliability; meaning Intel SSDs not only perform better, they last longer.
Thrust your PC’s performance into overdrive with an Intel SSD 320 Series!
Solid-State Computing Starts with Intel Inside®.