PTR 3.1 Ulduar: Kologarn
Do you remember our recent Ulduar Exploring PTR 3.1 Coverage video? You know how tall is the Prison of Yogg-Saron from the upper level where the broken crystal dome is … down to where the icy pool is. It is very high. Well, we teleported to the Antechamber of Ulduar, I was walking alongside some players to open the door that leads to that hub chamber … and my, oh my! A sight froze us as something that wasn’t there before covered the whole screen … watching at us with a threatening look.
Behold Kologarn … a massive bonafide … Titan? This is by far the tallest boss in World of Warcraft, except maybe for Kil’jaeden. Probably taller than that Scourge robot roaming Zul’Drak.
The most notorious thing about this boss is that his hands are tagged as separate objects: Left Arm and Right Arm.
The boss has a few abilities under his arsenal:
- Stone Grip: You will see onscreen a message: Kologarn casts Stone Grip. You can also listen to a voice emote: “I will squeeze the life from you!”. After this emote, he grabs a random player in his left arm. This does over 3700 physical damage to the affected target every second. Keep a healer keeping this target alive at all times. All DPS must be diverted to his left hand to make him release the player before he kills his victim.
- Overhead Smash: He does around 8000 melee damage and decreases armor by 25% for 30 sec. It would be good to have some +Armor potions/elixirs to compensate.
- Shockwave: When he yells: “Oblivion!!!” he casts an instant AOE causing nature damage to everyone in the party. On plate it hit me for 9547 damage. If a hunter keeps nature buff up on everyone, this helps a lot. With nature buff, I got hit for 6867 damage (1768 resisted). Keep everyone at full health at all times. This can kill a few players that are at half-health.
- Petrifying Breath: Inflicts between 18000 to 21000 nature damage every 1 sec and increases damage taken by 20% for 8 sec. Don’t stand in front of Kologarn to avoid his breath.
- Focused Eye-beam: You will hear a voice emote: KOL’TARISH. Shortly after, Kologarn shoots an eye-beam at a random target [usually a healer]. This eye-beam has two streams at the beginning. That’s your queue to start running away. Once the two streams unite into a single beam, it will chase the player across the ground for approximately 5 seconds, then he stops casting and it vanishes. As you may watch in the video below, I was panicking each time it was casted on me.
From observation, it does 2384 nature damage (615 resisted) per tick. If staying still doesn’t kill you, a healer should be assigned to keep the tank healer alive at all costs. In theory, the tank healer can stand still spamming heals on the tank and off-tank when the eye-beam is set on the tank-healer. Here concentration aura could do well. The only issue is that right after the eye-beam he casts Oblivion (6,000-9547 damage) which could kill the tank-healer.