The Lich King’s plague of undeath has spread through the Capital City and into the outskirts of Lordaeron. Shocked and disheartened by the loss of their beloved king, the forces of Lordaeron were scattered by the ravenous undead warriors. Now, Lordaeron is but a shadow of its former glory – and Prince Arthas has yet to be seen…
Blizzard Entertianment deployed a 1.5GB patch to address bugs in the Campaign and Custom Games.
Changes and Bug Fixes
- Audio levels for some dialogue have been adjusted.
- The animations, triggers, and cameras for some cutscenes have been tweaked.
- Fixed multiple campaign missions that had units appear invisible.
- Multiple inventory issues have been fixed for the Rexxar campaign.
- Fixed multiple bugs throughout the Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne Campaigns
- Updated the cutscene cinematic panel to transition cleanly between conversations.
- Fixed issues making Twilight of the Gods in the Reforged campaign easier to complete than intended.
- Tyrande’s inventory will no longer be absent on the Daughters of the Moon and The Awakening of Stormrage missions in the Classic campaign.
- Fixed multiple missing assets that were impacting Custom Games.
- The Custom Games list has been updated to better optimize searching.
- Fixed an issue where if a player quit multiple games and switched graphic settings, the user would get a “Match Found” but the game wouldn’t start.
- The Female Demon Hunter now uniquely metamorphosizes to her own model.
- Fixed an issue with Tranquil Paths where creeps were invisible.
- Updated the Firelord’s Incinerate ability icon in Reforged. It can still be auto-cast as normal.
- Guardian Golem now has an auto-attack impact sound.
- Fixed an issue where the Blademaster was immune to non-magic abilities like Ensnare while using the Bladestorm ability.
- Lady Vashj has a small update to her head to address her human ears.
- Succubus models are now visually distinct.
- Fixed an issue where new Reforged death sounds were playing in Classic Mode.
- Three maps have been temporarily removed from their respective map pools due to instability: Ruins of Stratholme (3v3), Banewood Bog LV (4v4), and Fountain of Manipulation (FFA). They may return once the issue has been resolved.
- Players are now able to leave the matchmaking queue in versus mode.
- Fixed an issue with team members entering a broken state when cancelling queue while the team is disbanded.
- When a player leaves a match, remaining players no longer receive the additional message “Blizzard has left the game.”
- Transitioning from cinematics to a mission no longer briefly displays campaign selection.
- Battletags now consistently show for team invites in the user interface.
- Map Vetos now save for Versus FFA Mode.
- Ultra-Widescreen is now a viable option in the options menu.
- The Grid Hotkey option now works correctly for campaign and hero units.
- Multiple localization fixes for text, subtitles, and truncation have been addressed in campaign and online play.
- Added Squelching to chat channel functionality.
- Fixed multiple portrait issues with units in both campaign and online play.
- Fixed an issue where melee-only abilities were showing up as hidden in the editor when using custom data.
- Fixed a crash that could occur while playing campaign, versus, or custom games with the ‘Low’ texture setting.
- Fixed a crash that could occur in systems with a high number of logical processors.
King Terenas: Ah, my son. I knew you’d be victorious…
Arthas: You no longer need to sacrifice for your people. You no longer need to bear the weight of your crown. I’ve taken care of everything.
King Terenas: What is this? What are you doing my son?
Arthas: Succeeding you, Father…
(Arthas impales his father’s chest, through and through, with the Frostmourne runeblade).
(The bloodied crown rolls down the stairs and breaks)
Arthas: This kingdom shall fall, and from the ashes shall arise a new order that will shake the very foundations of the world.
The next day, at Arthas’ base camp…
Muradin Bronzebeard: You lied to your men and betrayed the mercenaries who fought for you. What’s happening to you, Arthas? Is vengeance all that’s important to you?
Arthas: Spare me, Muradin. You weren’t there to see what Mal’Ganis did to my homeland.
Mal’Ganis: The Dark Lord said you would come. This is where your journey ends, boy. Trapped and freezing at the roof of the world, with only death to sing the tale of your doom.
Muradin: This looks bad. We’re completely surrounded.
Arthas: There’s still one chance. Help me claim Frostmourne! If it’s as powerful as you said, it might tilt the scales in our favor!
Muradin: I have a bad feeling about this, lad. But I promised I’d see this through.
Arthas: Captain, I’ll leave you to organize our defense. Let’s move out.
- Locate Frostmourne
- Arthas must survive
- Muradin must survive
During the first part of this mission, your new units can’t assist Arthas and Muradin. You must continue to build new units and buildings as needed to defend the main base from the Undead Scourge attacks that come from the north and the east.
In the meantime, Arthas and Muradin start at this location high in the mountains to the west of the main base.
NEW UNIT AVAILABLE – Gryphon Ryder – You may now build Gryphon Riders from the Gryphon Aviary. They are powerful flying creatures, mounted by Dwarven hammer-throwers.
Follow the path north. You will find three wolves: Dire Frost Wolf level 6 and two Giant Frost Wolf level 4.
North of that pack is a single Frost Wolf level 2.
Around the corner, there are two couples of wolves. All of them aggro. Those packs contains a Dire Frost Wolf level 6, Giant Frost Wolf level 4 (2), and a Frost Wolf level 2. One drops Periapt of Vitality: Increases the hit points of the Hero by 150 when worn.
To the right there is a Fountain of Mana.
Not far from the Fountain of Mana you will encounter a pack of Yeti and Frost Wolf pets: Elder Wendigo level 6, Wendigo Shaman level 7, Wendigo level 4, and 2 Frost Wolf level 2. The shaman drops Tome of Agility: Permanently increases Agility by 1; and Potion of Greater Mana: Restores 300 mana when used.
Further north, as soon as you get near a bunch of graveyards, the following undead units spawn: Wraith level 6. Ghost level 3. Skeletal Marksman level 3 (2). Skeleton Archer level 1 (4). Use Muradin’s Thunderclap on them: Slams the ground, damaging nearby enemy units. Units are also slowed.
Now you reach the end of the path to complete the search for Frostmourne. You will encounter The Guardian level 10, two Frost Revenant level 4, and 2 Skeletal Marksman level 3.
The screen goes black to play a cutscene.
Guardian: Turn back, mortals. Death and darkness are all that await you in this forsaken vault.
Arthas: I doubt there’s anything down here more terrifying than what we’ve faced already.
Guardian: Believe what you will, boy. You shall not pass.
The two Frost Revenants cast Blizzard on your team. Focus down the Guardian. Use Muradin’s Avatar, Thunderclap and Storm Bolt. Once the Guardian dies, the other units stop attacking.
Guardian: Turn away… before it’s… too late.
Arthas: Still trying to protect the sword, are you?
Guardian: No… trying to protect you… from it.
Arthas: Behold, Muradin, our salvation, Frostmourne.
Muradin: Hold, lad. There’s an inscription on the dais. It’s a warning. It says, “Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit.” Oh, I should’ve known. The blade is cursed! Let’s get the hell out of here!
Arthas: I would gladly bear any curse to save my homeland.
Muradin: Leave it be, Arthas. Forget this business and lead your men home.
Arthas: Damn the men! Nothing shall prevent me from having my revenge, old friend. Not even you. Now, I call out to the spirits of this place. I will give anything or pay any price, if only you will help me save my people.
Captain: Prince Arthas! Where is Muradin? We can’t hold out for much longer!
Muradin: Muradin is dead. But take heart, Captain. The enemy will not stand long against the might of Frostmourne!
MAIN QUEST COMPLETED
- Destroy Mal’Ganis’ Base
Note: All the items in Muradin’s inventory can now be found on the ground at the main base as treasure chests.
Select the Workshop. Research Flying Machine Bombs (B): Allows Flying Machines to attack land units.
Select the Workshop. Research Flare (R): Provides Mortar Teams with the Flare ability. Flares can be used to reveal any area of the map. Can see invisible units.
Select the Arcane Sanctum. Build a Priest (P).
Select the Blacksmith. Upgrade to Black Gunpowder (G): Increases the ranged attack damage of Riflemen, Mortar Teams, Siege Engines and Flying Machines.
Build 4 Peasants (P) to harvest wood.
Build 2 Knights (K).
Build 2 Riflemen (R).
Build a Priest.
Select the Arcane Sanctum. Research Sorceress Adept Training (O): Increases Sorceresses’ mana capacity, mana regeneration rate, hit points, and gives them the ability to cast Invisibility.
Select the Arcane Sanctum. Research Priest Adept Training (T): Increases Priests’ mana capacity, mana regeneration rate, hit points, and gives them the ability to cast Dispel.
Build 2 Peasants (P) to harvest wood.
Select the Lumber Mill. Research Improved Lumber Harvesting (L): Increases the amount of lumber that Peasants can carry by 5.
Build 3 Peasants (P) to harvest wood.
There are three exits in your main base: north, northeast, and east. Send all your troops northeast to creep. This is the exit straight east of the Arcane Sanctum. It goes up diagonally.
Select the Barracks. Upgrade to Long Rifles (L): Increases the range of Riflemen attacks.
Attack this group tagged as “Servants of Loken.” — obvious reference to World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King’s Loken from Ulduar.
This pack consists of a Granite Golem level 9, 2 Rock Golem level 2, and 2 Faceless One Trickster level 6. They are guarding a gold mine. The Granite Golem drops Claws of Attack +15: Increases the damage of the Hero by 15 when worn.
Select the Arcane Sanctum. Research Sorceress Master Training (O): Increases Sorceresses’ mana capacity, mana regeneration rate, hit points, and gives them the ability to cast Polymorph.
Build a Priest (P).
Now go down the ramp below the rock golems and head north. There is a hidden pack of Ice Trolls here: Ice Troll Berserker level 4, Ice Troll Priest level 2, and 2 Ice Troll level 2.
Now head south. There is a Mercenary Camp in this location where you can hire the following units (only 1 of each until after a long cooldown):
- Nerubian Warrior (W): Light melee unit that carries its young into battle. Attacks land units. Costs 170 gold and 2 food.
- Ice Troll Berserker (B): Medium range unit. Attacks land and air units. Costs 195 gold, 30 wood and 3 food.
- Nerubian Webspinner (N): Light ranged unit that can Web and Raise Dead. Attacks land units. Costs 140 gold, 25 wood and 2 food. Web (W): Binds a target enemy air unit in webbing, forcing it to the ground. Webbed units can be hit as though they were land units. Lasts 12 sec. Raise Dead (R): Raises 2 skeletons from a corpse.
- Frost Revenant (F): Medium melee unit that can cast Blizzard: Calls down 6 freezing ice shard waves; each wave deals 15 damage to units in a small area. Attacks land units. Costs 205 gold, 30 wood and 3 food.
TIP: The Webspinner is the best choice. You might need it for the Frost Wyrm at the main Scourge base. Its Web ability has no mana cost, and it is set to auto-cast (with a slight cooldown). So it will do well against the Gargoyles too.
Optional: There is a Goblin Merchant at this location.
At the Goblin Merchant you can purchase any of these items:
- Scroll of Protection (R): Increases the armor of all friendly units in an area around your Hero by 2 for 30 sec. Costs 150g.
- Potion of Healing (P): Heals 250 hit points when used. Costs 150g.
- Potion of Mana (M): Restores 150 mana when used. Costs 200g.
- Scroll of Town Portal (T): Teleports the Hero and any of its nearby troops to a target friendly town hall. Costs 350g.
- Wand of Negation (N): Dispels all magical effects in a target area. Contains 3 charges. Deals 200 damage to summoned units. Costs 200g.
- Scroll of Healing (H): Heals 150 hit points to all friendly non-mechanical units around the Hero when used.
Grab all newest troops from your base and join them with your main forces. Attack the Undead Scourge base east of your main base (bottom-right corner of the map). That base is guarded by 2 Abominations, 3 Crypt Fiends, and 1 Ghoul. Destroy the base, and claim a third gold mine.
Send the newest troops to join your main forces.
Send a Peasant to the recently destroyed Undead Scourge base to build a Town Hall at the gold mine.
Select the Arcane Sanctum. Research Priest Master Training (T): Increases Priests’ mana capacity, mana regeneration rate, hit points, and gives them the ability to cast Inner Fire.
Build at least 5 Peasants to harvest gold from the third gold mine.
Head north of the Scourge base just destroyed until you find this Troll camp with an Ice Troll Warlord level 6, Ice Troll High Priest level 4, Ice Troll Priest level 2, and Ice Troll Berserker level 4 (2). The Warlord drops a Health Stone: Increases the life regeneration rate of the Hero by 1 hit point per sec when worn. Can be consumed for 500 health.
Send all your troops to attack the Scourge Base marked in the map (top-right corner of the map). Destroy all buildings to complete the mission.
MAIN QUEST COMPLETED
Mal’Ganis: So, you’ve taken up Frostmourne at the expense of your comrades’ lives, just as the Dark Lord said you would. You’re stronger than I thought.
Arthas: You waste your breath, Mal’Ganis. I heed only the voice of Frostmourne now.
Mal’Ganis: You hear the voice of the Dark Lord. He whispers to you through the blade you wield. What does he say, young human? What does the Dark Lord of the Dead tell you now?
Arthas: He tells me that the time for my vengeance has come.
Mal’Ganis: What? He can’t possibly mean to–
Arthas: It is finished.
After taking his vengeance upon Mal’Ganis, Prince Arthas wandered off into the frozen wastelands of Northrend.
Tormented by Frostmourne’s maddening voice, Arthas lost the last vestiges of his sanity.
Now, driven by the sword’s dark will, Arthas plans to return home to Lordaeron and claim his just reward…
(Cinematic: Arthas’ Betrayal plays onscreen)
- Dire Frost Wolf level 6. Giant Frost Wolf level 4 (2). Drops Ring of Protection +3: Increases the armor of the Hero by 3 when worn.
- Frost Wolf level 2.
- Giant Frost Wolf level 4. Frost Wolf level 2.
- Giant Frost Wolf level 6. Frost Wolf level 2. Drops Periapt of Vitality: Increases the hit points of the Hero by 150 when worn.
- Elder Wendigo level 6. Wendigo Shaman level 7. Wendigo level 4. Frost Wolf level 2 (2). Drops Tome of Agility: Permanently increases Agility by 1; and Potion of Greater Mana: Restores 300 mana when used.
- As soon as you get near this graveyard, the following enemy units spawn: Wraith level 6. Ghost level 3. Skeletal Marksman level 3 (2). Skeleton Archer level 1 (4).
- The Guardian level 10, two Frost Revenant level 4, and 2 Skeletal Marksman level 3.
- Granite Golem level 9, 2 Rock Golem level 2, and 2 Faceless One Trickster level 6. The Granite Golem drops Claws of Attack +15: Increases the damage of the Hero by 15 when worn. Gold mine.
- Ice Troll Berserker level 4, Ice Troll Priest level 2, and 2 Ice Troll level 2. One drops Potion of Greater Healing: Heals 500 hit points when used.
- Abomination (2), Crypt Fiend (3), Ghoul (2).
- Ice Troll Warlord level 6. Ice Troll High Priest level 4. Ice Troll Priest level 2. Ice Troll Berserker level 4 (2). drops a Health Stone: Increases the life regeneration rate of the Hero by 1 hit point per sec when worn. Can be consumed for 500 health.
- Acolyte (5). Gold Mine.
- Mal’Ganis. Frost Wyrm (1). Meat Wagon (1). Abomination (2). Gargoyle (4). Crypt Fiend (3), Necromancer (2). Ghoul (4). Acolyte (5).
Early the next morning at Arthas’ new base camp…
One month later, along the icy coast of Daggercap Bay…
Three days later, amongst the ruins of Stratholme…
Early the next morning, on the outskirts of Stratholme…
Later that afternoon, on the road to Stratholme…
Early the next morning, Arthas and Jaina approach the village of Hearthglen.