Samsung accidentally leaked a page within their website for the upcoming Samsung 980 Pro SSD — first announced at CES.
The new SSD features 7,000MB/s read and 5,000MB/s write speeds when paired with a PCIe 4.0 motherboard. It is also compatible with PCIe 3.0, but it won’t reach those same speeds.
With the Samsung 980 Pro SSD, Samsung is bringing to the PC an SSD as fast or faster than the SONY PS5 internal SSD.
In comparison, the current Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD only have a max read of 3300MB/s.
If you are planning to get onboard the new PCIe 4.0 bus, there are currently two AMD chipsets that support it: the X570 and B550 motherboards.
BEST X570 MOTHERBOARD (PCIe 4.0)
The ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero X570 ATX Motherboard features PCIe 4.0 (3 lanes), and two M.2 socket 4 type M slots with PCIe 4.0 support — which is ideal for this Samsung 980 PRO SSD to reach those 7000MB/s read / 5000MB/s Write speeds.
This motherboard is also compatible with the future Zen 3 Ryzen 4000 CPUs.
A cheaper alternative is the ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard.
The leaked Samsung 980 PRO SSD full specs:
- General Feature
- Application: Client PCs
- Capacity: 1,000GB (1GB=1 Billion byte by IDEMA) * Actual usable capacity may be less (due to formatting, partitioning, operating system, applications or otherwise)
- Form Factor: M.2 (2280)
- Interface: PCIe Gen 4.0 x4, NVMe 1.3c
- Dimension (WxHxD): 80.15 x 22.15 x 2.38 (mm)
- Weight: Max 9.0 g Weight
- Storage Memory: Samsung V-NAND 3-bit MLC
- Controller: Samsung Elpis Controller
- Cache Memory: Samsung 1GB Low Power DDR4 SDRAM
- Special Feature
- TRIM Support: Supported
- S.M.A.R.T Support: Supported
- GC (Garbage Collection): Auto Garbage Collection Algorithm
- Encryption Support: AES 256-bit Encryption (Class 0) TCG/Opal IEEE1667 (Encrypted drive)
- WWN Support: Not supported
- Device Sleep Mode Support: Yes
- Sequential Read: Up to 7,000 MB/s * Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration
- Sequential Write: Up to 5,000 MB/s * Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration
- Random Read (4KB, QD32): Up to 1,000,000 IOPS * Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration
- Random Write (4KB, QD32): Up to 1,000,000 IOPS * Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration
- Random Read (4KB, QD1): Up to 22,000 IOPS * Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration
- Random Write (4KB, QD1): Up to 60,000 IOPS * Performance may vary based on system hardware & configuration
- Average Power Consumption (system level): *Average: 6.2 W *Maximum: 8.9 W (Burst mode) * Actual power consumption may vary depending on system hardware & configuration
- Power consumption (Idle): Max. 35 mW * Actual power consumption may vary depending on system hardware & configuration
- Allowable Voltage: 3.3 V ± 5 % Allowable voltage
- Reliability (MTBF): 1.5 Million Hours Reliability (MTBF)
- Operating Temperature: 0 – 70 ℃ Operating Temperature
- Shock: 1,500 G & 0.5 ms (Half sine)
- Installation Kit: Not Available
- Management SW: Magician Software for SSD management
- Warranty: 5-Year Limited Warranty or 600 TBW Limited Warranty
The leaked Samsung page was cached by Google on August 31, 2020.
Hope you enjoyed this article. Please, support Blizzplanet via PayPal or Patreon, and follow us on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitch for daily Blizzard games news updates.