Meanwhile, at the Dreadlords’ citadel, somewhere in the Twisting Nether…
INTERLUDE: THE DREADLORDS CONVENE
Anetheron: Is everything proceeding as planned, Tichondrius? Lord Archimonde demands a report on the scourge.
Tichondrius: The Lich King’s young death knight has been performing well… almost too well. I begin to wonder if Ner’zhul has ulterior motives for his new… champion.
Mephistroth: The human means nothing in the long run. Ner’zhul wouldn’t dare undermine our efforts now.
Anetheron: Our only concern is that the Scourge accomplishes what it was created to do. Archimonde will have all our heads if we do not keep control of this situation!
Tichondrius: Believe me, brother. Neither the Lich King nor his undead lackeys will jeopardize the Legion’s return!
Anetheron: See that they do not. Lord Archimonde has little patience for failure.
INTO THE REALM ETERNAL
Six days later, near the forested borderlands of Quel’Thalas…
Arthas: Ah, wondrous, eternal Quel’Thalas. I haven’t been here since I was a boy.
Kel’Thuzad: Be wary. The elves likely wait in ambush.
Arthas: The frail elves do not concern me, necromancer. Our forces are strengthened with every foe we slay.
Kel’Thuzad: Don’t be too overconfident, death knight. The elves must not be taken lightly.
Arthas: We shall see. Bring forth the prisoner. Where is the entrance to your land, elf?
Priest: You will never enter Quel’Thalas, fallen prince. The woods themselves protect our borders, and the enchanted elfgates protect our capital.
Arthas: Your precious gates will not stop me anymore than these trees, little elf. Bring up the meat wagons! We’ll make our own entrance.
Kel’Thuzad: The energies of this place are strong. Kill the elves! Level their structures! This location is perfect for your base.
Arthas: It’ll be a pleasure.
High Elf Archer: The undead are advancing! Alert the sentries!
- Destroy the Farstriders guarding the gate
You start the mission with 5 Acolytes, 5 Ghouls, 2 Necromancers, and 3 Meat Wagons.
1245 gold – 300 wood – 31 food
Build a Nexus.
Sylvanas Windrunner: You are not welcome here. I am Sylvanas Windrunner, Ranger-General of Silvermoon. I advise you to turn back now.
Arthas: It is you who should turn back, Sylvanas. Death itself has come to your land.
Sylvanas: Do your worst. The elfgate to the inner kingdom is protected by our most powerful enchantments. You shall not pass.
HINT – Destroy trees with Ghouls or Meat Wagons to uncover pathways and Elven hamlets.
Note: Within the next 15 seconds, Sylvanas and two Swordsman will attack from the southeast.
HINT – Ghouls can use Cannibalize to heal themselves from corpses.
Places marked with these S-shaped runes reveal where you can use your Meat Wagons to clear trees. In this case, the northwest and northeast trees shown in the image. To the northwest is a camp of Gnolls. To the northeast is a path to the most unprotected Elven base which serves as your expansion base.
NEW UNIT AVAILABLE
Necromancer – You may now build Necromancers from the Temple of the Damned. They can initially cast Raise Dead on corpses to summon Skeleton Warriors.
Command the Ghouls to harvest wood.
Send Arthas, the Meat Wagons, and the 2 Necromancers to the S-shaped runes to the east.
Build a Ziggurat.
Build a Crypt.
Build a Graveyard.
Build 3 Ziggurats.
Command the Meat Wagons to Attack Ground (G) the trees on both sides.
Kill the hidden Gnolls (northwest of the runes): Gnoll Overseer level 5 and two Gnoll Poacher level 1. The Overseer drops Tome of Strength: Permanently increases the Hero’s Strength by 1.
Now go east to attack the High Elf village. They only have 3 swordsmen.
High Elf Villager: Find Sylvanas. The undead advance!
Make sure to rise Skeleton Warriors from corpses with your two Necromancers.
Select the Nexus. Upgrade to Halls of the Dead.
Destroy the High Elf Village to claim your expansion base.
Go southwest of the mine through the bridge. There is a Goblin Merchant guarded by 3 High Elf Swordsmen.
Build a Ghoul.
From left to right:
- Scroll of Protection (R): Increases the armor of all friendly units in an area around your Hero by 2 for 30 sec. 150
- Potion of Healing (P): Heals 250 hit points when used. 150
- Potion of Mana (M): Restores 150 mana when used. 200
- Scroll of Town Portal (T): Teleports the Hero and any of its nearby troops to a target friendly town hall. 350
- Wand of Negation (N): Dispells all magical effects in a target area. Contains 3 charges. Deals 200 damage to summoned units. 200
- Scroll of Healing (H): Heals 150 hit points to all friendly non-mechanical units around the Hero when used. 250
Build an Altar of Darkness — in case Arthas dies.
Further south of the Goblin Merchant is a High Elven base. Don’t even get there just yet until you have more units. Go back to the main base.
Build 2 Ziggurats.
Select the Graveyard. Upgrade to Unholy Strength (S): Increases the attack damage of Ghouls, Meat Wagons, Skeleton Warriors and Skeletal Mages.
Upgrade to Unholy Armor (U): Increases the armor of Ghouls, Skeleton Warriors, and Skeletal Mages.
Send Arthas, the 2 Necromancers, and the Meat Wagons through the southwest exit of your main base until you find S-shaped runes on the ground. Destroy the trees to make a pathway.
Build 2 Ghouls.
Build a Temple of the Damned (T).
Build a Slaughterhouse (H).
Make a very tight U-turn along the hill to the west to avoid the High Elf Guard Tower. You might aggro one swordsman, but if you continue going north he will auto-break aggro and run back to his base.
Kill the two Archers.
Destroy these trees to make a path through to the north.
Continue heading north until you come across a Gnoll camp. The Overseer drops Ring of Protection +2: Increases the armor of the Hero by 2.
Build a Necromancer (N) at the Temple of the Damned.
Build a Meat Wagon (M) at the Slaughterhouse.
Head back to destroy the second Elven base. It is defended by at least 4 Archers, 2 Sorceresses, and 2 Guard Towers. Use the Necromancers to Raise Skeletal Warriors and Skeletal Mages whenever any of the high elves dies.
High Elf Villager: It is the traitorous human prince! Run for your lives!
Select the Temple of the Damned. Upgrade Necromancer Adept Training (E): Increases Necromancer’s mana capacity, mana regeneration rate, hit points, and gives them the ability to cast Unholy Frenzy.
Research Skeletal Longevity (S): Increases the duration of raised Skeleton Warriors and Skeletal Mages by 15 sec.
Move Arthas, and his troops to this Goblin Merchant. Kill the Ballista and the three Archers.
Go past the bridge, and turn to your left, uphill. Destroy the trees to gain access to a Fountain of Health.
Kill the 4 Archers, then use the Fountain of Health to heal your units.
Build 2 Meat Wagons (M).
Build a Necromancer (N).
Build 2 Ghouls (G).
Build 2 Ziggurats.
Bring all of your minions at the main base to join your forces for a final assault on the biggest Elven base marked as a green circle in the map.
Go all the way south (bottom-left corner) — through the path east of the gold mine. Here you fight a Rock Golem level 6 and two Mud Golem level 2 guarding a Fountain of Mana. They drop a Potion of Greater Healing: Heals 500 hit points.
Head east to destroy this outpost: kill the Priest first, then the two Swordsman. Then destroy the Guard Tower.
Now head northeast where you find a ramp that leads into the biggest Elven base.
Arthas: Finally, we’ve reached the elfgate! Press the attack! Let none survive!
As soon as you attack the Guard Tower and/or the Barracks, you might get aggro from 3-4 Archers, a Swordsman and a Ballista — if the team that usually attacks your main base is on standby here. Don’t forget to raise Skeleton Warriors with your 5 Necromancers.
Otherwise, there should be a swordsman (east of the Guard Tower); and a sorceress and archer (north of the Arcane Sanctum. East of the Arcane Sanctum, there is a swordsman, priest, archer, and ballista.
Optional: Before destroying the Castle, kill a hidden pack of Gnolls to the south, behind these trees. The Overseer drops a Potion of Greater Mana: Restores 300 mana.
Necromancer: Lord Arthas, the creatures of the forest are also resisting our invasion.
Destroying the Elven Castle and all other buildings and towers in this Elfgate base will automatically trigger a cutscene and end the mission.
Sylvanas Windrunner: Shindu fallah Na! Fall back to the second gate! Fall back!
Arthas: The elfgate has fallen! Onward, my warriors! Onward to victory!
- Gnoll Overseer level 5 and two Gnoll Poacher level 1 (drops Tome of Strength: Permanently adds +1 Strength to the Hero).
- High Elf base. Gold Mine. Swordsman (3).
- Archer (2)
- Gnoll Overseer level 5. Gnoll Warden level 3 (2). Gnoll Assassin level 3. (the Overseer drops Ring of Protection +2: Increases the armor of the Hero by 2. Tent drops Scroll of the Beast: Gives friendly nearby units a 25% bonus to damage for 45 sec).
- Elven base: 5 Archers. 2 Sorceresses. 2 Guard Towers.
- Ballista. 3 Archers. Goblin Merchant.
- Gnoll Overseer level 5. Gnoll Warden level 3 (2). Gnoll Assassin level 3 (2). (the Overseer drops Health Stone: Increases the life regeneration rate of the Hero by 1 hit point per sec when worn. Can be consumed for 500 health. Destroy the huts for a Book of the Dead: Summons 4 Skeleton Warriors and 4 Skeleton Archers to fight for you. Lasts 120 sec. The book is consumed).
- Archer (4). Fountain of Health.
- Rock Golem level 6. Mud Golem level 2 (2). Fountain of Mana (they drop Potion of Greater Healing: Heals 500 hit points).
- Swordsman (2). Priest. Guard Tower.
- Sometimes: 3-4 Archers, a Swordsman and a Ballista — unless it departed to attack your main base. Plus or Otherwise: Sorceress, Archer (4), Swordsman (3), Priest (2), and a Ballista. 4 Guard Towers.
- Gnoll Overseer level 5. Gnoll Warden level 3 (2). Gnoll Assassin (the Overseer drops a Potion of Greater Mana: Restores 300 mana).
NOTE: The red X marks represent trees you need to destroy with your Meat Wagon’s Attack Ground (G) ability to make a path across to the other side.